It’s no surprise that the major providers in the industry want to invest largely into their software, hardware, and the global networking sector to acquire major market share, which has secured exceptional performance to date.
Amazon is a well-established and largest cloud provider in comparison to Google but Google is matching up fast to the level of Amazon. While considering your options, AWS or Google Cloud Platform, or debating on switching between the two, it’s necessary to understand what each of the provider’s offer in terms of computing capabilities, storage and pricing, and so on.
In this blog, you will learn:
- What is Google Cloud Platform (GCP)?
- What is Amazon Web Service (AWS)?
- Why choose Google Cloud?
- Why choose AWS?
- Features of Amazon Web Services (AWS)
- Features of Google Cloud
- Google Cloud vs AWS
- Disadvantages of Google Cloud Platform and AWS
- What’s the best pick for you?
What is Google Cloud Platform (GCP)?
Google launched Google Cloud Platform in April 2008 with the App Engine being launched first as a private preview for developers. While Google Cloud Platform is the newest of the three public cloud services. Google Cloud, is a global fiber network that connects Google’s data center. In other words, operates on the same platform of infrastructure used by Google internally for its end-user products such as Google search, Gmail, and Youtube.
It helps to meet your business challenges head-on with its computing services by promising a digital transformation for both businesses that have just started to well-established ones.
What is Amazon Web Services (AWS)?
Amazon.com, the pioneer of e-commerce was the first to launch public cloud services back in 2006. It’s the most robust and stretched widely by a set of three big providers. Amazon Web Services addresses to build applications with increased flexibility, scalability, reliability,easy-to-use, and most importantly cost-effectiveness.
AWS offers a multitude of different solutions and outstanding services from financial services to media to the healthcare sector. Thereby, applying web-based bridging at sectors of work. AWS launched its first cloud services with Simple Storage Service (S3) and Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2).
Why Choose Google Cloud?
Let us list out the benefits of choosing Google Cloud Platform (GCP):
- Suitable for employees to work from anywhere.
- Google Cloud Infrastructure has multilayered security along with high availability of zones.
- Swift Quick Access to Innovation helps to elevate the rate of productivity.
- Offers 20+ Power-pack products of Smart Data-Analytics.
- Huge data and Open Cloud Software enables customers to open-source machine learning.
- A serverless environment with cloud services prioritizing on a microservices architecture.
- Cost-efficient w.r.t compute optimization.
- Provides instance and payment configuration.
Why choose AWS?
Let us list out the benefits of choosing Amazon Web Services (AWS):
- The deployment of a new version of your web or mobile app takes little time.
- AWS offers easy deployment of apps through Application Integration products.
- With DevOps Teams, you can access a wide range of training and machine learning. Best suitable for start-ups.
- AWS offers high productivity for development teams.
- Comprehensive, scalable, and secure level of data analytics solutions.
- From small to large e-commerce with high scalability by AWS.
- An ideal option for high-computing power projects.
- AWS has 200+ products which include tools ranging from automation, development, cloud resources management system, and successfully managed versions of all popular databases both SQL and NoSQL, and so on.
- Cloud access quicker in limitless capacity.
Features of Amazon Web Services
- Offers Hybrid Cloud solutions.
- Has vast availability zones within 24 geographic regions around the globe.
- Globally connected marketplace to find, test, buy and deploy software.
- Centralized billing management system.
Features of Google Cloud
- Provides better UI for simplified developers’ experience.
- Private Global Fiber Network.
- Adds more OS and languages involves self-service.
- Live migration of Virtual machines.
Differences based on storage and compute services
We have picked some parameters that will distinguish between the two cloud services.
Here, we have segregated based on storage and compute services.
Google Cloud vs AWS: Storage
|Object Storage||Google Cloud Storage||Amazon Simple Storage Service (S3)||-GCS provides unlimited storage which has an optimal price range for its products.|
-Amazon S3 has 99.999999999% data durability.
|File Storage||Google Cloud Filestore||Amazon EFS for Windows file Server and Lustre||-GCF network is attached storage (NAS) for Compute Engine (Kubernetes) for reference to the same shared data and GKE instances. |
-POSIX-compliant shared file storage with support performance over 10 GB/sec and more than 500,000 IOPS.
|Block Storage||Persistent disk & local SSD||Amazon Elastic Block Store (EBS)||– Google Cloud has high durability, resizable volumes, and offers low-cost storage. |
– EBS is designed to provide 4,000 MB/s throughputs per volume, 256K IOPS/volume, 99.999% durability, and io2 Block Express is ideal.
|Archival or Backup Storage||Nearline, Coldline & Archive||Amazon Glacier, AWS Storage Gateway & AWS Back up||– Nearline, Coldline, and Archive offer ultra-low-cost, highly-durable storage with low latency with consistent API.|
– AWS Backup integrates with a hybrid storage service that enables on-premises applications to seamlessly use AWS cloud storage.
|Data Transfer Storage||Storage Transfer Service||AWS Snowcone & AWS Snowball||– STS makes data transfers and synchronization easier.|
-Snowball Storage optimized devices provide both block storage and Amazon S3-compatible object storage.
Google Cloud vs AWS: Compute Services
|Virtual Machines Instances||Google Compute Engine||Amazon EC2||– GCE provides per-minute pricing making it suitable for batch jobs and fault-tolerant workloads.|
– Amazon EC2 helps in configuring capacity with minimal friction. Hence, most robust and well-established VMs.
|Function Services||Cloud functions, App Engine & Cloud Run||AWS lambda||– Promises fast work from containers to production in seconds and supports nodes, js and python.|
– Cost- optimized with millisecond metering and continuous scaling. Supports its own big data
|Edge and Hybrid Services||Edge TPU||AWS Outposts||– Edge TPU allows to deploy high-quality ML inferencing by using various prototyping and production products from Coral (a toolkit for developers).|
– AWS Outposts offers fully-managed infrastructure. New AWS Outpost 1U and 2U form factors in 2021 (Check out)
|Containers Services||Google Kubernetes Engine (GKE)||Amazon ECS||– GKE provides streamline operations with release channels and has four way auto-scaling with multi-cluster support.|
– ECS runs sequential or parallel batch workloads. Helps to build and manage first instead of infrastructure.
Disadvantages of Google Cloud Platform and AWS
Google Cloud Platform
- Apart from tier, everything else costs.
- Lacks many features than AWS.
- Needs learning before starting new applications.
- Takes time to build a simple website.
- Launching multiple instances app is difficult.
- Security limitations.
- General Cloud Compute limitations.
For a better understanding of both the cloud services, here is a video
What’s the best pick for you?
We have given you a detailed overview of both cloud service providers. Google Cloud and AWS platforms both are great to work on. But before deciding which service will suit your business the best, you need to understand the requirements of your business/company that will help you reach your business goal faster. Also, improve your business/company’s functionality with these innovative cloud providers. AWS is leading in market share with an ample amount of features. We vote for AWS but nonetheless, Google Cloud is also making its reach with new features updating on regular basis.